Setting up a new net/record label.. all help appreciated

Announce launch or plans for labels, shops, radios etc.. Free net releases, online identity presentations and psy communities announcements

Moderators: Fantapsy, Vess

Loose Cognition
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Setting up a new net/record label.. all help appreciated

Post by Loose Cognition » Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 am

I'm at the very first stage of setting up what will start as a net label and what will eventually be a record label..

I would like everyone's opinions/advice/2cents worth on things to consider, steps to take ect..

Advice on how much artists should be realistically paid for tracks? (pm me if u dont feel comfortable disclosing this openly)

Who you think does a good job mastering? what styles, references ect.. and why?

Info about where to get cds pressed? distribution and the like? (i know this is a while down the track, but it gives food for thought)

this has been a long time dream of mine and i now feel im at a stage in my life where i can bring it to fruition, however i have alot to learn and could do with the help of those with more experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated :drinks

Zero-Blade
Psycho

Post by Zero-Blade » Tue May 03, 2011 2:50 pm

First things first - most labels from our genre don't pay for tracks, because they can't afford to pay for everything. The best way to set up a label is to do it with friends, that share the vision and have the skills - you need a mastering engineer, a designer and the manager/head of label. And since people are getting more and more into labels and music, the first two won't be that difficult to find. Most engineers/designers work with more than a single label and you already have the label manager.

Of course, if you can afford it, you can always pay for everything. Usually mastering a track is around 50~100 euro, which makes 500~1000 eu for 10 tracks. Cover design is 50~100, that makes 550~1100. The cost of the track itself, you need to decide with the artist. Back in the day, when finance wasn't such a problem, the cost of a single track was around 100 eu. So that makes approx. 1550~2200 eu for releasing a compilation and paying for everything.

On the other hand - if you can get a good mastering engineer in your label, to support the idea with his skills, get a good designer to do the same and get the tracks for free, you can release CDs at almost no cost, since the manufacturer usually uses the first couple of hundred CDs to cover the manufacturing expenses.

Plasma Force
څҐαnceformínĞ...
څҐαnceformínĞ...

Post by Plasma Force » Tue May 03, 2011 10:30 pm

If i could offer some help i would like to be able to have the opportunity

Thanks

;)

Loose Cognition
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Loose Cognition » Tue May 03, 2011 10:36 pm

thank you for replying.. have been continueing my research into costs and who needs to be contacted and its all smooth sailing at the moment..

in regards to manufacturing, who do people recommend? i see alot of albums with saikosounds on them, is this to say they are the easiest/ cheapest to work with? and before contacting them directly, can anyone tell me how much manufacturing costs are, and subsequently how much profit u make from each sale so i can look at how many units u would have to sell before breaking even.

Loose Cognition
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Loose Cognition » Wed May 04, 2011 9:29 pm

just thought i'd post un update, as im pretty excited!

Am heading down to the department of commerce today to register a business name, have been in contact with saikos and am pretty happy with what they offer.
Have a meeting this weekend with a friend who does web design to talk about gettin a site for the label up/ purchasing a domain ect...
Still in talks with a few different artists about cover artwork, some of what i've seen in this department is beautiful! 8)

Next BIG step is to start approaching a few artists that i think would fit well with the direction i want to take with the label, fingers crossed a few of them share my vision! :yahoo

Will keep ya's posted once i've sorted out the website design! more to come!

kriz
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Post by kriz » Thu May 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Best of luck !! Im also in the process of setting up my label, Horrordelic Records... Wish you the best man !!

Plasma Force
څҐαnceformínĞ...
څҐαnceformínĞ...

Post by Plasma Force » Thu May 05, 2011 5:32 pm

hootenanny wrote:thank you for replying.. have been continueing my research into costs and who needs to be contacted and its all smooth sailing at the moment..

in regards to manufacturing, who do people recommend? i see alot of albums with saikosounds on them, is this to say they are the easiest/ cheapest to work with? and before contacting them directly, can anyone tell me how much manufacturing costs are, and subsequently how much profit u make from each sale so i can look at how many units u would have to sell before breaking even.
http://ask.metafilter.com/36537/Has-any ... cord-label

Loose Cognition
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Loose Cognition » Thu May 05, 2011 9:38 pm

there is one issue that gives me the feeling im out of my depth, having said that everything can be learned!

once u have approached an artist, found a track of theirs that NEEDS to be shared, what is the protocol on acquiring the licensing for it?

Is it all verbal, online agreement? how do u exchange money/ and then music?

while keeping it safe, so neither party feels like they may be ripped off..

I want the artist and myself to feel safe in the knowledge that once money and music has been exchanged the track isn't going to be used for anything else other then the publication in what ever format has been agreed upon..

I hope someone can explain this to me in laman terms :poor

LIMBO(dark)
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by LIMBO(dark) » Sat May 14, 2011 4:43 pm

hey BRO!!!
nice blog post here!!!
professional things happens here:) :bravo

well ,my support for you BRO:

i offer you Mastering service by:

http://www.meteorburnlabs.com/

very special prices/Pro-quality Sounding

art cover design by:

http://www.rapid-eye-movement.de

and by Swaroop aka SANATHANA

sgd.014@gmail.com

Phone

Website

http://www.sgdesigns.co.uk

feel your MInd, chose the tracks,do what you love to do!!!dont affraid
is not buisness it MUSIC!!! ;)

mudpeople
ॐ Mind
ॐ Mind

Post by mudpeople » Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am

For artist payment, it would depend on the artist, how popular and marketable they are, how much they usually are paid, how many other labels are offering to release (basic supply/demand stuff)... From what I understand its not uncommon to pay the artist once the release is actually released and selling. Everyone is likely to have their own preferred method, personally I dont really care to make money at all and wouldnt ask for anything :D

For mastering, Meteorburn is good, Foods Libraries is good too, for cheap-ish, Colin OOOD is a master of mastering but he charges if I remember right 50 British pounds per track or 300 pounds for a full release, not the cheapest but IMO is WORTH EVERY PENNY cuz his ears are made of gold with platinum swirls. Tim Schuldt and Kri are great too and I think around the same price as Foods.

Kri http://www.audiovalvemastering.com/
Colin http://www.facebook.com/OOOD.mastering
Tim http://www.4cn-studios.com/
Foods http://foodslibrarys.com/-FOODS_LIBRARYS-.html

And if you're interested at all in my own stuff, you're pretty much welcome to release whatever so long as its not already spoken for. I admit it doesnt really fit alongside most Triplag stuff. I won't take offense if its not quite what you're looking for.
http://soundcloud.com/mudpeople (uploading newer tracks now, the ones up there as of right now are all older except Harmonica)

Loose Cognition
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Loose Cognition » Wed May 25, 2011 11:03 pm

thanks for the response everyone :kiss

something i have found since a started this voyage is how helpful alot of members of the psytrance community are :drinks thanks to everyone so far..

limbo, was already looking at melan for album cover work after seeing the cover for 'sonic busters' amazing stuff.. however he seems to be a bit busy to fit me in.. in the mean time i have found someone who is willing to help with cover work so hopefully that works out!

As for mastering i think im going to get a few test masters from several studios too see which audio treatment i think will suit the album..

paying for tracks is making it an unprofitable venture, but i would rather foster good relations with artists early on, as one thing i have noticed is a curtain level of distrust between artists and labels and if we work together i think this could be dispelled..

cds and distribution is pretty easy to take care of, but digital sales has me a little stumped... have set up bandcamp which i will be promoting as the first place of sale for digital but i have read about 'aggregators' which from my understanding take out the leg work, and can distribute ur stuff digitally to a whole heap of online stores... can anyone recommend a good one of these?

:cs

Zero-Blade
Psycho

Post by Zero-Blade » Wed May 25, 2011 11:08 pm

hootenanny wrote: ...i have read about 'aggregators' which from my understanding take out the leg work, and can distribute ur stuff digitally to a whole heap of online stores... can anyone recommend a good one of these?
:cs
http://www.distelectronic.biz/

sunstation
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by sunstation » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:19 am

The worst solution for getting paid, as they cut more than any "normal" distribution. Also no Beatport presence under your label name.
It fits only if you want to deal with someone, who listen to the same music.
Try to look for more common distibutors, they all have different cut models. Some charge only for submiting release, some cuts only incoming money.
IODA and InGrooves may be the biggest, but there are more than 50 digital distributors around, so calculate with care.
Also, you can start to work with key shops on your own (Juno download, at example).

For printing - are you sure you will sell more copies than production costs?
YES - better to print on your money and send to distibution - at least 40% economy for whole print.
NO - go digital and don't even pay attention and money to useless plastic in collapsing market.

Remember the main thing - label is about delivering music to listeners, not about getting money from customers.

Cinder
Vomitstorm

Post by Cinder » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:14 pm

I would start by releasing digital and build an artist base before dumping a bunch of money in to a cd.

CD is cool and a nice token, but economically is a huge waste of resources. I own Anomalistic Records, and actively release stuff, and once you build your clientele you will see that people will give you tracks for promotion, and some visual artists will do design for you at minimal to no cost.

We are all trying to have our art seen / heard, remember that...nobody is worth 300EU for a track these days. Furthermore, DO NOT pay 1000EU for mastering engineering...People will do this for 80 American dollars for an album!! Great people

COntact Bash / andrehtorres

hell contact ME.

:)

Albertwarren
no beats in this soul ;(
no beats in this soul ;(

Re: Setting up a new net/record label.. all help appreciated

Post by Albertwarren » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:51 am

I think artist payment is totally depend upon its popularity and marketing. Also depend on how many other labels are offering to release. It is very uncommon thing to pay the artist once the music is actually released. Some of the album cost is actually depends on its label designs if it designed so well also increase the value of artist albums and selling in market above his expectations. Thanks for sharing some wonderful information here. :(