An absolut noob needs help!

Music creation & DJ mixing, how tos questions, discussions & help ~~~ Musical Software/hardware/skills etc...
Mandari
Your vitals are stable!
Your vitals are stable!

Post by Mandari » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:29 pm

well, looking forward to have a listen soon 8)

btw i found this maybe to be interesting to anyone german here and im sorry that i dont know an english alternative, but feel free to visit this very informational and interesting site.

http://www.musiklehre.at/

you will find everything about theories you need there i guess :drinks

for my english speaking brothers and sisterz i recommend this really nice tut epos if you´re interested in advanced synthesis techniques, sound design, synthesizing most instruments etc....

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

hope one enjoys, let me know

cheers

Retohmorgon
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by Retohmorgon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:43 pm

Big ups to Brother Mandari for the links! Thanks!

:drinks

Fraktal
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Fraktal » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 am

Ui, thanks!

Very informative and helpful.

And maybe somebody can help me with a new question on Ableton:
When it comes to recording (i.e. the process of putting the loops you created into order and making a song outta them) sometimes I hit the little square mute-button of one of my little loops. Yea, and when I'm now listening to my recorded file again (including the recorded loop), it isn't played anymore and the specific bar is greyed out. Wether I save my progress and open it again or I close the program and doing the same afterwards, the greyed out bar won't come to acoustic life anymore!

How to undo this? Not with the undo-button, that's for sure. It is kinda annoying when crucial parts are missing :|

Zagoan
3plaĞ connected!
3plaĞ connected!

Post by Zagoan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:26 am

Hey Fraktal,

Its greyed out because the audio track is set to "in", if you change it to "auto", the greyed out clip will get a nice color and you will hear what you recorded onto the audio track :)

atleast this is what I think your problem is. Tell me if it helped.
:drinks

edit:
it might be that you have to press the "back to arrangement view"-button. If it is red than you have to press it to play what you have recorded into arrangement view.

it works like this:
if you do something in session view, like play a clip, than the button called "back to arrangement view" will be red. That means that the clip you started in session view is playing, and not the track for the same instrument in arrangement view.

The "back to arrangement view" button is on the top, the button right to the "OVR" button.

I hope it clear enough :)

Mandari
Your vitals are stable!
Your vitals are stable!

Post by Mandari » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:59 am

pfffffffffff :Rolf

rather start with your manuals..... :cs

Fraktal
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Fraktal » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Key, Zagoan, the first thing u wrote pretty much sounds like the right solution. I did not try it yet because I am just frikkin loving the music I'm listening to right now. But as soon as I find out I'm gonna tell ya!
And Lfosex: I'm reading 8-)

Mandari: It's definitely not bad to be in the know about those things. You think it's too much? :D

:bangin Golly!!!1 :roll

Cosmic Lizard
Your vitals are stable!
Your vitals are stable!

Post by Cosmic Lizard » Mon May 03, 2010 8:34 pm

i prefer making it in session & half in arrangement. When i write my song i always copy & paste to be very precious, but that just my way of doing it :drinks ofc sometimes i stretch my midiclips from kicks & bass & melo's (after all i dont want to be sweaty :roll )
Best advice i can give you ( i think :shocked ) is, try expirimentating with sounds untill you get what you like, after sometime you'll get your own style of making it & etc.
Also theire's lots of tutorials on the internet(even if its not ableton based, you can get an idea on how to make things in midi en etc...) I've learned true self study on internet & in books to get me going (its still aint what it suposed to be i think, but we're on our way :crazyfly )
And if you can work together with some people who know what they're doing, you can learn more then a lot :drinks
All the best! you can always send me a msg if you have some questions.
peace

Mandari
Your vitals are stable!
Your vitals are stable!

Post by Mandari » Mon May 10, 2010 7:49 am

Fraktal wrote:

Mandari: It's definitely not bad to be in the know about those things. You think it's too much? :D

:bangin Golly!!!1 :roll
well, i gues at least for me it had been too much to start with. sure it´s more than important to know about these things, so pls dont get me wrong :D

anyways, it´s up to one self what he/she desires to be most important for beginning. at the end everything is really important. the more you know, the more you get out of your sound......or at least got the possibility =D=D doin that is another story hehe.

sorry for confusing :drinks

stephan

Fraktal
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Fraktal » Fri May 28, 2010 5:11 pm

I just talked to someone who made an awesome lifeact out of his and his partners music and I want to add: yes, the theory can be important. If you want to know about harmonics, etc. But: He had absolutely no frikkin idea about these things! He just gave in to his feelings (so did his two partners) when he was playing with them (at around 4-7 in the morning, the best and hardest dark live act I've ever seen).

( btw, this is it: http://www.myspace.com/halingka13 )
It was so cool. And he told me: I don't know a thing about music theory. After the night we jammed on his guitar. I just gave in to my feelings and fucked, uhm, wait, sang with him.

So this can also occur, well, well.

Lfosex
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Lfosex » Sat May 29, 2010 12:10 am

Everyone can get good sound but not everyone can mix correctly and get good sound.. So theory is more important than you can imagine.

PLUR

Fraktal
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Fraktal » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Lfosex: I can very well imagine how much effort one could shove into expanding his/her theoretic wisdom/horizon. I can also very well imagine that this is not all necessary sometimes. In fact, I saw it myself.
Are you sure that everyone can get good sound?

Zagoan: It was the second! You helped me out, thanks. 8)

f-f-f-fuking killa!

GloOMy_PhAntOM
Entering ॐ phase...

Post by GloOMy_PhAntOM » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:12 pm

@fraktal

mandari is german too ;)

i cant help i use fruity and cubase :drinks
i only use ableton for live sets ;) learned by mandari over telephone :P

Mandari
Your vitals are stable!
Your vitals are stable!

Post by Mandari » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:50 am

he mate,

as you mentioned halingka13, dunno him personally so far, but guess you´re maybe from hamburg if you know him. :drinks

sooO, forgot the thingy, but if you´re interested in talking personally just feel free to come over to the error404 moonparty 25th this month somewhere around HH. i´ll be there giving my best to the party ;)

also im looking forward to meet jörn/blind fury some time before the party starts, so maybe if you know him or you gonna come over that party you simply could hook me up any time while im not on stage xD

well, the greyed out thingy is already answered, it´s exactly this. you can leave it off and just sset as usual, the input will rather work. so that way you could autmate a key for launch the record button (on the track, not global) and that way you can easily just hit that button once, pressing enter after (the clipsection you wanna record), record, hit enter again and it will start right away running the recorded clip. feel free to go down to the next empty slot and record another sound. at least my way to record sounds and loops on the fly while playin live. credits to tom cosm, at the end the guy i learned this from.

any interesting shit about ableton you will find on the ableton sites forum or here:

http://cosm.co.nz/

im doin my live exactly that way he mentions. so no prearranged shit or stuff, each track separated into different stems, recorded, split, put into ableton and ready to freak out. that way im able to do a live remix of any track i like, im able to put in even material from unfinished tracks to check that on the floor or just because it comes to my mind while playin. also it gives me some time if im out of ideas how to bring in new stuff, what to record, which sound could fit etc.
this way gives me most flexibility i´ve ever seen and really really is worth all it´s work. many just do an arrangement in ableton and hit play and hide behind their laptops. i take each gig my whole equipment to make it as live and flexible as i can, playin my blofeld and xstation during the while, creatin new sounds on them, record, loop, glitch the shit out of it, whatever. also i like to set up few channels to be able to just throw in a vsti and work with it.

have fun, enjoy

EDIT means that timo could give a shout at some time and she heared quite some while not even a shit from him xD so get your ass up mate, whats up on your side. harder to reach than pope dude :D hope all good!

cheers: stephan

Fraktal
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Fraktal » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Thx for the invitation, Mandari :D

Danke für die Einladung!

Ich hatte sowieso vor, dorthin zu gehen, es ist nur noch nicht ganz sicher, ob ich da sein werde. Und mit Blindfury habe ich doch eh schon geschnackt ;D

Also thanks for the insight on your style of creation. If I am to be there at the 25th I will see the results...hehehe, I'm really looking forward. The last 404 was just the best. And fastest :roll