Volume Levels | How to make the track louder?

Music creation & DJ mixing, how tos questions, discussions & help ~~~ Musical Software/hardware/skills etc...
Psyborg
The beat is born
The beat is born

Volume Levels | How to make the track louder?

Post by Psyborg » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:06 pm

Hello dark freaks :D

I have a strange problem with my tracks. Whenever I finish a track and normalize it to 0db it still seems to me like 2 or 3 times less loud than professional tracks, although they look like the same volume if I open them e.g. in Cool Edit...

Do you have any idea what mistake I could be making :?:

Maybe it is normal without proper mastering? Or maybe it has something to do with volume proportions of all the sounds in the track? I tried changing the proportions a little bit, using limiters before rendering and boosting dB in CoolEdit but I simply cannot make them significantly louder without crossing the 0dB line... maybe all my sounds are just so much shitty? :crazyG

It would be great if you could provide some tips! :D

SooSpicey
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Re: Volume Levels | How to make the track louder?

Post by SooSpicey » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:22 pm

it is because it is not mastered. a mastering engineer will compress, add volume, and limit.

also, if you are submitting a track for mastering, dont bring it to 0db. allow for a few db's of headroom.

Psyborg
The beat is born
The beat is born

Post by Psyborg » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Oki, thanks so much for the help! 8)

It´s not so bad info... I just need to stop worrying abut loudness and focus on makin better music :bangin

Wish you a nice day!

Zero-Blade
Psycho

Post by Zero-Blade » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:26 pm

Don't normalize the wav. Compress the mix before exporting it.

Try the Nomad E-3B Compressor. After you've finished your track, put it on the last slot on the master channel, choose the 'Mastering Class A' preset and set the output level according to your mix. I work at -12 db max channel volume and I find 3.8 db output boost to bring quite a lot of volume and power at a low cost of quality. You can listen to these tracks and play them at parties, but if you want to release your music, it's better to find a real mastering engineer and let him do the finishing touches.

Psyborg
The beat is born
The beat is born

Post by Psyborg » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks for all the tips Zero-Blade!

I'll check out the Nomad for sure. Sounds like it's exactly what I need now.

Maybe I would be able to at least hear my tracks on the mobile speakers ;)

:xdance

Psyborg
The beat is born
The beat is born

Post by Psyborg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:01 pm

sheilmolson wrote:I would like to suggest that instead of using cool edit you use premiere as there is problem in cool edit. But, in premiere you will not face any such problem. I too had faced the problem in sound and even after saving the file the original version is damaged.
audio engineering schools in texas
Did my eyes fool me or is it a spam post with a spammy link with a spammy anchor text, hmm? :|

Zero-Blade
Psycho

Post by Zero-Blade » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Psyborg wrote:
sheilmolson wrote:I would like to suggest that instead of using cool edit you use premiere as there is problem in cool edit. But, in premiere you will not face any such problem. I too had faced the problem in sound and even after saving the file the original version is damaged.
audio engineering schools in texas
Did my eyes fool me or is it a spam post with a spammy link with a spammy anchor text, hmm? :|
Probably. Now it's gone. :P

Mandari
Your vitals are stable!
Your vitals are stable!

Post by Mandari » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:34 am

hmmm,

well, honestly, if you dont know why thats happening, the really last thing i would recommend is using a compressor and that stuff on your own.

no, its not because its not mastered. its not because its not compressed....(well, not exactly, but might solve the issue).

its in fact, because of the dynamic range of your track. the peak does not allow for more gain, cause it would distort. and yeah, like kriz said, avoid normalization. it just raises all signals to the peak, thus ruins your work. as we´re talking about a MIXING issue here, you can have a listen/look for the peak and put it down. range decreases, whole track can be set up with quite more gain WITHOUT the need for compression ;)
if you want to keep that dynamic range and the peak that far away from the rest, you would anyways destroy that by compression. plus compression on the master beeing really not that easy. what you can do is set up a limiter, give it really really low inpuut volume and crank it all the way up, thus heavily working. you get gain that way without loosing too much dynamic range.

at the end, ALWAYS try to avoid processing. like said, to me this beeing a mixing issue, you could solve that on source instead of friggin around with the record.....

peace :cs

tymeworkbeats
The beat is born
The beat is born

Post by tymeworkbeats » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Focus on making the mix louder. That has a lot to do with instrument selection. Once your mix is as loud as it can be, then start worrying about the plugins and processors.

Lfosex
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Lfosex » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:51 am

Mandaris comments are the only that point some what in the right direction..