Darkpsy/Hi-tech EQ

Music creation & DJ mixing, how tos questions, discussions & help ~~~ Musical Software/hardware/skills etc...
kshapana
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Darkpsy/Hi-tech EQ

Post by kshapana » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:31 am

Namaste! I just started producing Darkpsy/Hi-tech and I don't really know much about it. I managed to make a track, but
I think the EQ is pretty fucked up. Check it out (https://soundcloud.com/kshapana/paithiyakaran-197-6-bpm)
Please let me know how I can improve the EQ. Are there any special frequencies for the kicks and bass? Also, what vst synthesizers can I use for the twisted synths and SFX?

dj_anubis
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Re: Darkpsy/Hi-tech EQ

Post by dj_anubis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:48 am

WHOOOHOOOO New TOPIC , NEW MEMBER :yahoo

Namaste kshapana :drinks

I just heard your track, and here is my thoughts:

01. Let me give you a little help, instead of linking to URL, just write this line:

I dont want to do it for you because its your track 8)

01. The intro is very nice :fly

02. to me your track is much more psycore, then Hi-Tech, we dont need to try and get into the defenisions area now...its all matter of personal opinions, but for me hi-tech is music like cosmo, crazy astronaut, kashyyyk where the sound is clear and the track is braking constantly, so in my opinion its more psycore :psybanana:

03. for most of the sounds I cut the frequencies below 150hz-200hz :bub

04. Kick & Bass I cut below 25 hz (somewhere in this area) and the high freq I also cut :drum

05. This track is too fast for my ears, but then again, its a personal opinion, you are the artist, so you know what you want to create ;)

06. About VST & Effects, well to be honest I don`t create this kind of music, But I believe its all about creativity, you can ass super psychedelic sounds and effects with really simple tools, its all about creativity

07. Keep up the good work, update us with any progress or question you have, the forum has really low activity, I check it all the time because I really hope it will be with much more activity, bring more friends if you can help us make this forum alive again :mag: :dance :monkeydance :reallygood:

08. Share with us some information about your producing process, which DAW are you using?, which vsts and effects you like to use? any idea will be most welcome :drinks

By the way:
you said you just started to make this kind of music, well to be honest I dont know your musical record but IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU KNOW A LOT ABOUT IT!, you dont sound like a new prodcuer who just began, so RESPECT :partyman:

Also take a few seconds, and choose your self a nice AVATAR, (profile settings)

(I sent you a private message please read it :drinks )

kshapana
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by kshapana » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:49 am

Thank you very much for the feedback! :)
It has been very helpful!
I'll see what I can do about it and yeah, its more Psycore than Hi-tech :D
Its been about 2-3 months since I've started to produce this type of music.
I used to be a vocalist in a local Death metal/Deathcore band like about 3 years ago, but we couldn't continue, because I had to go to school and stuff. After a while, I started to learn production on FL Studio, along with my studies.
I used to make Deep House, Tribal House, Progressive Trance, Epic Trance and stuff like that then.
Later one day, when I was listening to some Goa Trance on Youtube, I came across Darkpsy, Full on Psytrance and Hi-tech. It was a couple of years ago, I think. I totally loved the sound of it and got addicted to it. I just kept listening to
the music, and started to explore more and more artists. After a year or so, I got kind of got familiar with the music, and started to experiment and recreate the sounds. It was only like a couple of months ago that I got the right tone.
But I am still just learning. Have much to learn about the equalization and mastering. Hopefully, I'll start making some decent Hi-tech and Psycore one day.

I use Cronox and Alien 303 for the bass.
I have the Gsonique Psytrance Drum Kit Vol 1
For the synths and FX, I have been using the native FL VSTs like Poizone, Toxic Biohazard, Harmless, Sytrus, etc.
For EQ I use iZotope Ozone

Would you recommend anything else for more razor-sharp synths? I heard Albino and V-station are quite suitable for that sort of sounds, but I haven't tried them. Are they really that good?

And please excuse me, my English is not so good :D

dj_anubis
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by dj_anubis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Well first of all your english is FINE :drinks

I am very happy to read all the stuff you read here, to make this sounds in two-three months is a very fast progress, RESPECT 8)

about the synths, you are right, ALBINO and V-Station are nice synths, there are many quality VSTs out there, its all matter of personal taste, share with us the stuff you like to use, its always nice to hear about nice tools :crazyfly

Remember these are only tools, But its the artist who decide what to do with it, you can make with the same synth POP song or PSYCORE track, its your creativity, mind and soul who decide where the energies will flow :ura

The truth is that you are not a beginner, you produced other geners so you knew how to work, you gained experience and now you found a new path.

But you do know how to produce, and you learn fast :cheerG

Try to make your best sounds, Mastering will give it the final touch (many artists give their tracks to mastering proffesional so its ok ;) )

I love cronox, I also use it for Bass lines.

Really glad I could help you, feel free to open topics, like I said I check this forum very often so good chances you will get fast feedbacks :cheerG

check out the rest forums dj sets\self produced tracks, the 24/7 TRIPLAG RADIO, all of them are really cool :bangin :bangin :bangin :bangin

Lets hope for more intersting activity here :partyman:

kshapana
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by kshapana » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:55 pm

Thank you for your responses :)

And yeah! I agree with you completely that it totally depends on the artist about how the track will sound. Although some particular VSTs may give the tracks a good touch, ultimately its the artist's job to make it sound unique and outstanding.

Sure, I'll checkout other forums. I've been listening to the radio since a couple of hours. Killer tracks! :super

Even the Chilltrip channel's really nice! The music is so blissful. Extremely floating and ethereal! :cs

Thanks again!

I'll be opening new topics for getting feedback on my work.

kriz
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Post by kriz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:37 pm

kshapana welcome to the forum !! 8-) :cs Stay on producing and sharing your works in here !! :)

kshapana
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by kshapana » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Namaste and thank you very much kriz! :) I'll definitely keep working on my music and will share it here! :yahoo

spejs
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by spejs » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:28 pm

killer beat dude!! i feel like :ura XD

kshapana
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by kshapana » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:23 am

:yahoo Thank you very much bro!

MaximilianHf
The beat is born
The beat is born

Post by MaximilianHf » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:15 pm

really nice track. it just feels like pure energy. :bangin also it doesn't sound like you're new to New Age Psychedelic (my definition for our music ;) ). i really like anything about it except for the bassline :)

i would recommend you to first of all always make sure that the kick is (almost) exactly 1/16 long.
usually i create my kicks by using 2 sounds. the first one is a really short *click* sound at the beginning ( ca 5khz - 200hz)
the second one is more like an impulse between 200 and 25 hz . so when i put these two together i have really sharp sound in the beginning followed by subbass impulse...
(i am using ni massive for that one. 1 sin osc for the click (controlled by env 1 for pitch and env 2 for the amp) and a second sin osc for the impulse ( env 3 pitch and env 4 amp). when eqing the bass i usually cut it around 30hz and 5khz. then i push it around 80 - 100 hz and lower it around 1200-1500 hz.

for the bassline i use zebra as synth because you can literally draw the audiosignal the osc will play. so you can create interesting basstextures.
i cut it at 40hz . also i strongly push it around 100-150hz (depends on the bassline)..

here you can hear my results :

i hope this helps. 8) you really have to keep up your work. i think you will give the world some really nice tracks. :super
greetings from berlin

kshapana
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by kshapana » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:41 am

Thank you very much brother! Your reply has been very helpful! :) Sorry about replying so late. I'm checking this after a lot of days.

Yeah, I agree! The bass and the kick don't really go well with each other due to the bad EQ. Honestly, I din't really do much EQuing. I have just started to learn about Kick-Bass EQ and its been a month, I think. Its only now that I get the sound alright, without the frequency clashes and stuff. Just experimenting and learning slowly :) And after finishing that track, I haven't been working on any new material. Just working on getting the EQ right and spending a lot of time on the VST Synths, trying to recreate the typical sounds and some interesting textures. I have come up with some really crazy sounding razorsharp and squelchy synths. I can certainly feel a bit of improvement in my production.
Also, my style has changed a bit and is now more Hi-tech than Psycore.

I think I just need to spend a bit more time learning and hopefully, I'll be making some decent sounding tracks soon.

My university exams are coming soon, so I don't get much time for my music. I'll be done with them by the 20th of May, and then I can devote enough time for production.

Can't wait for that! And I promise, this time my tracks are going to be sharp and crazy as phuk. Maybe I'll even add some Death Metal Gutturals here and there haha :D

dj_anubis
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by dj_anubis » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:49 pm

happy to hear this bro 8)

good luck with your exams, learn hard so you can have more time for music production soon :ura

about psycore\hightec\darkpsy it doesnt matter, do whatever you like, and what you think sounds good

dont try to copy producer x or producer y, this producers are have lot of years of experience thats why in my opinion do what ever you like, if its good you will feel it, a little advice if you want to be sure if your track is good, take a break during or after you finish it, if 1-2 days has passed and you hear it and think its good its probably good ;)

i will be happy if you can recommend nice vsts and techniques you use, remember tripag is a place where we learn from each other, thats the best why to reach our goals :partyman:

kshapana
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by kshapana » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:58 pm

:) Thank you brother.

Yeah, you're right about that! Its just plain old music, whatever it might be.
Its just something we enjoy. Doesn't matter if its Hi-tech/Psycore/Darkpsy or anything.

And don't worry about that, I'm not gonna try to copy anyone's style, but I am coming up with my own style :D

Thank you again for the advice :)

Zero-Blade
Psycho

Post by Zero-Blade » Thu May 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Here's my 2 cents -

The bass sounds more like percussion than bass, the low end of it is missing. Try to layer another deep bass below it, cutting the mid bass above 100-150-200 hz and cutting the sub bass above 100hz.

Try to create different patterns with the hihats and switch between them. They sound pretty much the same trough the whole track.

Most sounds and fx sound nice, although some of them interfere with the kick/bass. Cut the low end of all of them at least above 100hz, where overlapping with the low end.

Plugins and VSTs don't matter as much as if you've learned how to use them, so you can use anything you like. Don't jump into creating a huge pool of vsts right from the start, as it will only slow your workflow. Choose 5-6 vsts you like and learn them, than decide what other vsts to add, one by one.

To better understand eq, I would suggest using a visualizing eq, like GlissEQ.

dj_anubis
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by dj_anubis » Thu May 01, 2014 2:33 pm

Great advices Zero Blade, really happy to see you taking part in this forum again

Welcom back :drinks