Mixing in Traktor vs CD decks

Music creation & DJ mixing, how tos questions, discussions & help ~~~ Musical Software/hardware/skills etc...

Mixing in Traktor is:

Just a handy tool for home djing?
58%
Silly question. End result is important - tools are irrelevant?
42%

Total votes: 52

vic
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Re: Traktor

Post by vic » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:58 pm

djnevski wrote:Dudes

i use tracktor final scratch 2.0 .
With the move of all decent psy trance going to cd i initially purchased a
cd deck which i used in conjunction with 1210's. To be honest the cd deck
was no patch on the 1210's so i got rid of it and opted for finalscratch.
what CD deck did you get? I used to have pair of 1210 MK2 then for the same reason exactly move to CD decks and got Pioneer 1000Mk2 - this is a proper CD deck you would expect to have after vynils..
there is no way I will be swaping 1210s for any other CD decks...

but sure since you have your set-up going - sure - there is no looking back 8)
looking forward to your mix :)

nelosarilho
We have a pulse!
We have a pulse!

Post by nelosarilho » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:13 am

this is a strange subject, cause every junck can come in hand in many diferent ocasions .. iv seen traktor in a few psytrance partys, and i was surprised with their CPU performance.. i just couldnt trust my mix on my CPU stability, cause every cpu crashes, but one thing is for sure .. every thing went fine, but riscks were taken for sure ...
in music production we are whatching to some new market developments like the fisical hardware to control virtual software.. pple want to tutch things, to make an automation instead of drawing it.. in this chapter traktor is goinn rectro.. it makes waht good hardware ( with dedicated DSPS )does , but now only with mouse control, Intel or any like processors , running under a crappy sistem.. :dontknow:

faxinadu
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by faxinadu » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:42 am

traktor and abelton and all those rock.
laptop + nice card + nice prog...
u have all your music collection there and a choice of programs and tools.
not only do i dig it, i think its much cooler than a deck.
even less "live" as in real time, but gives you the chance to carry all your music and tools with you in a handy and proffesional manner.

vensker
The beat is born
The beat is born

Post by vensker » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:37 pm

My two cents:

The best decks for mixing are the pioneer 1000 mk2, just the same feeling like vinyls (late version is 1000mk3, which plays mp3 too!).

And for mixing, any pioneer mixer is ok, but 909 rocks for the battle!!

Best Regards!

DJ CyberGod
3plaĞ connected!
3plaĞ connected!

Post by DJ CyberGod » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:52 pm

personally prefer decks..

mastersodium
Connecting...

Post by mastersodium » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:46 pm

I miss vinyl. Even the feel of CD decks (even the good ones) just doesn't quite stack up. granted I don't mind not having to truck 100 lbs (50 kilos for you non americans, hehehe) of vinyl everywhere I play.

I myself have never used tracktor, but do have a question about it. first, I KNOW THIS IS CHEATING, BUT I DONT CARE. could it be used to pre match all your tracks to the same speed, so there is no bothering with mucking about in beatmatching. Still to record them on CD's so it is used on normal decks, I am just tired of matching beats after all these years. I think more time could be better spent mixing then matching.

vic
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Post by vic » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:06 am

Agree with mastersodium,,,

im sick of wasitng time on beat matching, when technoloogy can provide help. I use CD decks beat counter to line up beats and then it is up to my skills to match it :)

miss vynil also :( but it is a retro now (especialy in psy trance) :grampa

Zorin
The beat is born
The beat is born

Post by Zorin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:10 pm

Bom,
I think mixing on decs is much more funn. Because i believe you have more controll over situation and also CDcase and cds...... , it is less virtual...
Ohnestly i like to mix only by my ears... i hate when there BPM counter on mixer or cdjs, it is just confusion. ( i even sometimes put something to cover the BPM screens)
I tried to mix couple of times on PC but i did not like it at all.

but it is up to dj.

Alex

vic
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Post by vic » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:44 pm

Mix by ears is valuable expirience, used to do that with vynils but then got laazZzy.....
Actualy, quite a few people i know do the same - cover BMPs -- I agree, confussing a lot with ears....
but there is a little trick to learn how to use CDJs BMPs to avoid confusion ;)

mastersodium
Connecting...

Post by mastersodium » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:54 pm

Yeah, I'm with Zorin. Ban the BPM counter. then you start to get that little bit of offset beats that pull the bass/low mid out of both tracks if you're not careful, I hate that. ruins a good beat for me. Maybe I haven't played on good enough equipment, but I don't trust a BPM counter and I don't think I ever will. Then, I like to keep my eyes on the crowd if I can, so I never need to cover it up either :dance

Sarvodaya
The beat is born
The beat is born

I'm still up in the air regarding Traktor

Post by Sarvodaya » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:58 am

I started with a pair of Geminis and a Gemini PMX in the early 90s in Japan. I still think vinyl with a pair of turntable lamps is very cool. After comming back to the states I switched to CD decks for sound quallity and used Pioneer mixers. I think the effects were better on the Pioneer than Traktor. The sound quality doesn't seem to be so great either. I like the fact one can see the variations in the music kinda like looking at the variations on the surface of a record. But I have found control response to be skittish or sluggish compared to outboard equipment. As far as effecting a party in any way, unless folks want you to be like the DJ from Outcast, I don't think it matters.

psyanide
3plaĞ connected!
3plaĞ connected!

Post by psyanide » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:22 am

i like mixing with tractor but it does make it extreemly easy i think anyway great for doing recordings mixes ect 8)

vishwaatmaaa
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by vishwaatmaaa » Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:18 pm

Hellooooo :cheers and its my first time here on Triplag and its nice to know there are actual discussions about the art of DJ'ing and production....

DJ'ing is an art and a skill just like any other creative medium and it requires the same passion and effort to make it sound impeccable :drum ... as production.

So if you want to be a DJ, its important to respect the skill and use the decks with the tricks and treats to offer along with a track list that is beat-matched to perfection or close, since that is the foundation that leads to a journey with soul and power. Otherwise, we can all just listen to computer generated track lists at home. I, personally do not let any DJ's play at my parties using Tracktor and will encourage them to use the decks; if they haven't yet learnt how, but they have a good ear and love for the music I will offer my CDJ's and mixer for practice at home :bangin

I love putting the time and effort to create mixes which lift you in every way and are matched beautifully to create that special set with waves to move you and bring you to a higher place at the end......its what I call fruits of LOVE!!! And I love my art of PSYSTOMPING...Finally, if you love an art, you have to work at it and create a performance worthy enough to be appreciated. Hope to put up a mix someday here .....Until then, say BOM BHOLENath and I ll be hitting the decks soon. :w8

vic
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Post by vic » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:27 pm

Heyy Vish!!

good to have you here! :cheers

absolutly agree with you on art of DJing and mix construction 8)

looking forward to your mixes ;)