Mixing in Traktor vs CD decks

Music creation & DJ mixing, how tos questions, discussions & help ~~~ Musical Software/hardware/skills etc...

Mixing in Traktor is:

Just a handy tool for home djing?
58%
Silly question. End result is important - tools are irrelevant?
42%

Total votes: 52

vishwaatmaaa
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by vishwaatmaaa » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Its my pleasure Vic :D ....all our support to you from wierdly sunny NYC!!!!
I am going to send you some mixes and also record the Party with KiRiYAma....but knowing me I might send you something this weekend... :cheers

BoM

esmokah
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by esmokah » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:58 pm

i new to mixing, but i still think my $.02 is valid.

Mixing on my cdj-800 mkII2 and djm-707 mixer is worlds above traktor. I like not having to have a computer with all my music to plug into my mixer to use final scratch or the like. I also have a tech 1210 and some vinyls that never gets used. I have a good stylus and it'll jump out of the groove if i back cue too fast, or it'll hit the record with a mighty crash that'll play over the speakers. Finding music on vinyl was very expensive, as everything came from overseas. It was real hard to find the tracks i wanted too.

I tried Traktor and didn't care for it. it was simple to use and get going, but mixing isn't fun with a mouse. I have two hands to mix with, not one to play "musical solitaire" and a free one to pick my butt.

Psy is as Psy does.

serz
3plaĞ connected!
3plaĞ connected!

Post by serz » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:03 am

I don't like mixing with the computer, it's not very serious...

I've used both.. In the beginning I used PC + Mixer but I knew that it was gonna be temporary as soon as I had my real decks.

And yeah, it's way cooler mix with all wav instead of mp3s...

Later!

Zero-Blade
Psycho

Post by Zero-Blade » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:16 am

Ofcourse, mixing on CD decks is better, but untill someone can buy himself those decks he must satisfy himself with the PC ;)

LSDan
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by LSDan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:26 pm

The only issue i have with traktor is the sync button. Thank god it doesn't work very well. It defeats the object of DJ'ing being a skill. What a daft feature.

DJSHAFT69
ॐ Heart
ॐ Heart

Some of my best mixes have been with a laptop

Post by DJSHAFT69 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:58 am

I like using a CDJ with one 1200 or 1500, and then a bank of computer CD programs and my whole virtual sound console. I have almost all my sample and loop effects on virtual VST or soundbank programs, and my Ampeg and Tascam hardrives are in the same tower as my other drives. I run a three drive setup, and try to go with CDJs and the table as much as possible.

It is ironic that some of my best mixes have been wih only the virtual programs and the inboard CD players on the computer tower. It's ridicualous looking because it's all crammed in an old 2000 Compaq tower, but it is how I have gotten used to running the gigs.

I get a wicked live performance sound by using fast track samples, and also having a great custom build Moog interface on the computer. I think I have close to $15,000 US in programming and sound cards built into my home rig. It is easy to transport, and it has a full 64 track studio built in with the plugs for the hard wired sound board and all the outboard of a full DJ booth, with some nifty virtual turntables hooked in.

I tried to go with straight turntabes and CDJs one night, and I found out I SUCK!!! at going back old school. I can remember when I told everyone they would have to pry my cold dead fingers off the pitch knob before I went over to digital or a computer setup. Now I don't think I can mix without the Tower of f@#king Sound that lives in my box.

I use Tractor, T12000, Virtual DJ, MixxPadd Pro, Spuntirx, and any number of other virtual programs as the need or desire hits.

I am now much in favor of doing the smaller gigs and backyard parties and undergrounds with just the computer and a sound deck and one CDJ. I can grab the tower and run a lot easier than trying to haul ass with my old turntable remote rig. I do a lot of smaller gigs and illegals, so a 20 pound computer tower and the 4 channel board fits right in a gearbag and on the back with ease.

After our entire sound system and all the records and CDs got confiscated by the cops, we decided that MP3s on the hardrive are a lot easier to handle. I copied all my drives to another computer, so if they do get it, oh shit, but not the end of the spinning for sure.

Peace,
DJ Shaft(69)

kutanimal(Pleiadian)
DJ team
DJ team

Re: cd players

Post by kutanimal(Pleiadian) » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:23 am

Mind Distortion System wrote:maybe someof you are calling me old shool
but
for me using a computer with traktor for mix on a party lose all the magic of djing.
i use traktor at home but i never going to use on a party .
first you lose some quality because trktor use he hown compression for having the waves files and mp3 at same compression .
and i never play mp3 only waves files changing with the hownartists or i by the cds on internet.
mp3 are for listen at home or in the car not for play on partys the compression is CRAP. that why after some djs you have headhakes!!!
and virtuual mix tables are for home. where is the ART of dj with a computer?!?!
monkey dance banging music monkey dance
well nelsun sayd it all i use traktor at home aswell i think if i go to a party and whatch a ´´dj´´ playng only with traktor a prefer to stay at home playng my self eheheh we still live in a fisical world and some things made to be fisical allways and some ppl just LOVE QUALITY is like food for the soul :monkeydance :monkeydance :monkeydance

Oxidelic
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by Oxidelic » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:26 am

LSDan wrote:The only issue i have with traktor is the sync button. Thank god it doesn't work very well. It defeats the object of DJ'ing being a skill. What a daft feature.
have u ever try the "round" function Edit mode for the bpm..???

remember that 99,99% of the psy tracks are on round, exatc bpms... eheheheheheh
:grin: :grin: :grin:

:cs

DJSHAFT69
ॐ Heart
ॐ Heart

Computer/Virtual programs VS mixing from CDJs and tables

Post by DJSHAFT69 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:52 pm

Well I was really curious to see about all the differences between a fully virtual based set verus a set done only on hardware CDJs and a turntable and the standard hard wired mixing board setup I used to use.

I did two sets for a Gathering of Tribes party done for the Florida "Rainbow" Gathering in Ocala. I did the first set on two Pioneer CDJ100s players and one Technic 1200 PRO Limited turntable. The turntable was used to play loops directly from a few older records I had, and to spin a background track for some of the live remixes. I don't have any current records, but I have a ton old school Goa and late 90's psy to pull for some of the old scholl mixes.

I did the first set without any virtual programs from my computer, and used a MOOG custom and a Roland and Tascam homebuilt for most of the sampling. I also had an old analog Roland D8 and D9 setup from way back in the late 80's that I pulled out for the true old school analog mixing sound.

Way too many cables, pataches, crossovers, and wires to set up was my first thought as I set up the full mobile setup that i used to run as a standard console for the huge warehouses we used to throw in Tampa Bay. I haven't set this fucker up like this since about 2002, and wow was it a bitch to put together. Almost an hour of set up, sound checks and level tests, and it was still not dialed in all the way.

Man, I used to set up like this 4-5 times a week, but I don't miss the time or hassle a full analog and digital MIDI system takes to truely tune in and get levelled out. Damn, I really fucked up the first few tracks till I had all the sound samplers and mixers totally in synch.

The set went really well and the live sound was f@#king incredible, almost as good as I ever gotten my live sound. All the work to get it running seemed like it was well worth it at the time. WOW! It really sounded off when I listened to the recording the next day. Every glitch, pop, system crackle, drop in sound, skip, and bobble came over on the recording.

I had to remaster the final cut three times to get all the volume changes to blend in. I got a really good final mix that I will post a link to after the file is loaded on PsyStream. I got some really great live remixes laid down, and it definitely has a rw and live analog feel to the whole thing.

NOW-On to the virtual set done entirely on computer and virtual mixing setup.

I used Traktor 3 for the second set, although I have never used it to play for a crowd of more than 30 people gathered for an afterparty. I was not sure if I would be able to pull of a good full sound system mix with the thing, but I was willing to let it rip.

I did a few practice sets on the new version so I was pretty familiar with the program, but I NEVER use any of the beat matching features or even bother to have the beat counter showing. I go by ear and let the tracks flow as I hear them come up in my head.

I have used Native Instruments programs for well over a year, so i pretty much know the limits and I was a bit worried. I didn't know if the MP3s would sound different after the first set, but I really was suprised that I had much better sound with the stable MP3s than with the diverse CDs and records from the last set.

The second set came out amazingley well, to the point where my fades and track cuts sound so close to mixing on turntables, that I will never doubt my vitual set up again. A flawless live set 1:30 long and not mcuh of a glitch except where I boned it with the faders and mixer a few times.

The second set was way better than the first, with many people telling me as much when it was all over and we were smoking out to the sunrise. I put the second set on in the car coming back, and at over 125mph (uh 200+kph ???) we blazed into the sunrise, headed for oblivion.

I will post the links to both the sets after I get them posted over at PsyStream. They are not dark sets, just some good FULL-ON Rasta Fire psy. I did over three hours off praise and thanks to JAH with one hella nice completely remixed live session for all the hippies, dreads, rastas, and the other good people at the Gathering.

Peace,
DJ Shaft(69)

BTW- I pulled a third set later that day using both the CDJs and my virtual set in tandem, and it was yet another example of how a good live DJ setup can have both a computer, CDJs, and virtual programs putting out one BOOMING sound live, that is impossible to tell from a straight hardware based set.

The Revenge of the Acid Fuckers was recorded with that exact type of setup. Take a listen and see if you can tell what parts were on the virtual programs and which were done entirely on the CDJs. I can't tell the difference, and I mixed it live.

DJSHAFT69
ॐ Heart
ॐ Heart

RIGHT! RIGHT! HERE IT IS!!! THE RECORD/CDJ "REAL"

Post by DJSHAFT69 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:12 pm

RIGHT! RIGHT! HERE IT IS!!!
Okay, after hours of having upload problems I have the first set hosted over on PsyStream. Yo, ET, proper vibes for the hosting link! THANKS!

Direct Play link to PsyStream
http://www.psystream.net/mixes/misc/ng_ ... _Vol-1.mp3

DJ SHAFT(69) - Gathering JAH’S Tribe of Fire_Vol-1

1>Activate Morlack- Massive (Shaft69 Children of God Rmx)
2>Pink Floyd- Another Brick In The Wall (1200 Mics Rmx)
3>Stargate X- Maltditos Raves Unreleased Rmx (Shaft69 Increase Come From Jah Rmx)
4>Domestic+X-Noise- Flaming Dart (Shaft69 Welcome to Oblivion Rmx)
5>Painkiller- On Fire (Shaft69 Smoke Up Da Good Sensi Rmx)
6>Toxic- The Gathering (Shaft69 Know Our Fire Rmx)
7>Mekkanika- Instrumental (Shaft69 Spread Out N’ Scattered Rmx)
8>Space Tirbe vs Psywalker- Short Term What? (Shaft69 I am Super Chicken Rmx)

This mix was done With two Pioneer CDJ 100s, one Technics 1200 PRO Limited, and a Roland DJ2000 mixer.

A Roland 808-909 MIDI/Analog custom rack was also used to provide old school sampling and beat loop effects. I also used on Genesis AxD303 sample pad for additonal vocal overlays and backtracking.

A MOOG custom build was piggybacked on top for other sampling and vocals, with a Roland 24 track used for the master control board.

This mix was done to put the whole MP3 versus CDs and records argument to the test. I wanted to see if there was difference between a hardware based system and a virtual computer based system like Traktor or CDJ Redd or simliar virtual DJ programs.

CHECK OUT THE FIRST SET. YOU BE THE JUDGE.

You tell me if it sounds more raw and glitchy with just the old school hardware running. I actually think I like the final mastered sound as one of my top 10 mixes.

I will have the second set posted later today or tomorrow due to some compression and uploading problems with my slow as shit server. Take a listen to the first set, then after a bit of time listen to the second set.

BTW-The first set is NOT dark, just booming full-on mad on the fly rasta vibe mixing. It already has a 5 Star rating ;) so maybe I had a lower opinion of the final sound than was in actuality a pretty sweet sounding set. I am listening to it through the player on PsyStream now, and it came out raging and thumping.

TheoNaNacatl
We have a pulse!
We have a pulse!

Post by TheoNaNacatl » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:07 am

Interesting thread.
It is almost like witnessing a sonic evolution:

the old school guitar picking guys can't understand these "Dj"s (or more recently DJane's :D ), the old school vinyl Dj's can't get the idea behind mixing from CD's, and the old school CDDJ's look upon mixing from mp3's.

I personally would like to see shows, where ALL this is present and mixed up. Acoustic instruments, a little bit of vinyl, little bit of sample, CD or mp3. Now, that's mixing!

Never liked the idea to separate different styles of music based on the gear. For me Ravi Shankar is still a full on psychedelic trance with a single sitar in his hands, just as Hallucinogen or Baphomet Engine.

I'm for the results: a talented artist will blow away minds with a tiny kalimba, while sometimes a pile of gadgets won't do the trick.

DJSHAFT69
ॐ Heart
ॐ Heart

DJ SHAFT(69)- The Sound Test of Fire-Vol_1: CDJ vs COMPUTER

Post by DJSHAFT69 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:18 am

DJ SHAFT(69)- The Sound Test of Fire-Vol_1
Bringing Down Jah’s Fire
AKA-5000 Mics, Flamenco Fire and a Bike

This is the ultimate trial by fire of the whole CDJs/Turntables with standard hardware mixers and sound equipment VS a Computer Based Mp3 formatted virtual soundsystem.

One set was mixed on with two Pioneer CDJ 100s, a Technics 1200 PRO Limited (only had two vinyl records, soooo hard to find), and a Roland
DJ2000 mixer with all recording done on a Roland VS2480CD 24-Track directly from the main output.

One set was mixed using a custom built virtual MP3 system using Traktor3 and PCDJ REDD based programming, and a customized Roland based virtual MIDI/Digilog interface sound mixer similar to Audio8 that comes with Traktor Scratch.

I also have MIXX PADD Pro added as a time coded outboard deck so I can do the same thing as I could with any other scratching capable hands on CD player. I can get the virtually the same effects as if I were actually using vinyl and scratching.

My virtual mixing program includes many of the same features as Traktor, like the 4 CD decks and the same type of built in mixer. The program that plays the MP3s is almost identical to Traktor except for the features I have added in like MIDI and VST loop and sample programs.

I also have the Roland 24 track/64 channel mixer built into my main hard drive, so as to get the identical mixing sound without the hassle and risk of taking my studio to the illegals and Places of high risk.

Both mixes were recorded directly from the Roland VS2480 program so that a comparision could be made between the standard setup and the virtual based system. The CDJ set was recorded on the hardware Roland and the other mix was recorded with the Roland virtual software suite on the hard drive.

I will let everyone know which mix is which after people have had plenty of time to listen to them. I don’t want to bias anyone’s opinion ahead of time, so we will have a blind test to see if people can really tell the difference in the quality of CDs compared to MP3s.

THESE ARE NOT DARK SETS, BUT I WAS PLAYING TO A CROWD THAT WAS IN A PEACEFUL AND HAPPY VIBE, SO THIS IS WHAT CAME OUT. I GUESS THIS IS WHAT I THINK OF AS A CHILL OUT SET! BOOM YA'LL!

BTW- I am doing a really nice and dark Rasta Vibes set tomorrow night for our Babylon's Blood On the Moon party. I post the two sets of dark stuff so I can also get that kind of sets recorded to give all you dark blood freaks a good chance to listen to something more in the line of Triplag.
STAY TUNED FOR MY BURNING DOWN BABYLON: BLOOD ON THE MOON MIX TO BE POSTED SOON.

A HUGE THANK YOU AND MUCH RESPECT AND LOVE FOR ALL THE ARTISTS AND THEIR WORK, MAY IT BE MOST BLESSED! WITHOUT YOU THERE WOULD BE NO FIRE!

Bringing Down Jah’s Fire-Vol_1
Groovy Spacey FullOn
142-150BPM
1:26:16@192Kps
Download Link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=B14ZS1WQ
Direct Play Link
http://www.psystream.net/mixes/misc/ing ... -Vol_1.mp3

1>Kiwa- Time Bomb
2>Pop Stream- Fifty (Popstream Remix)
3>DNA + Melicia- Magic Stick
4>Ion- Weak Me
5>Cyber Cartel- Majestic
6>Tactical Strike- Never Over
7>Space Cat- Kreak Take 2
8>Pop Stream- Off The Tracks
9>Beat Hackers- Move To The Groove
10>Synsun- Dancing Machines
11>Beat Hackers- All Filters Up
12>Tikal vs Polaris- Dynamic Swell Part 2

Bringing Down Jah’s Fire-Vol_2
FullOn Firey Flamenco Madness
145-152BPM
1:37:51@192Kps
Download Link http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5UOAUSNQ
Direct Play Link http://www.psystream.net/mixes/misc/ing ... -Vol_2.mp3

1>Exaile- Bite Me
2>ITP- Sunrise
3>Tactic Mind vs Mahamudra– 2 Far 4 You
4>Dali– Hectic
5>Mekanikka– On Your Knees
6>Daft Punk– Aero Dynamic (Intersys Remix)
7>Mayan Complex– Conexion
8>Audio X vs Noronha– Find A Way
9>Tribal Voodoo– Tribal Voodoo
10>Beat Hackers- Beat De Luca
11>Painkiller– Flam N Co
12>Dali- Into Madness
13>Dino Psaras- A Forest

YOU BE THE JUDGE! CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCES IN THE SOUND? I MIXED IT AND I CAN’T REALLY TELL MYSELF. I KNOW THAT BOTH SETS ARE PROBABLY AS GOOD AS ANY I’VE DONE RECENTLY.

FOR ALL THINGS GIVE PRAISE AND THANKS TO HIM! MAY JAH’S FIRE CLEANSE AND PROTECT YOU FROM THE TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS OF BABYLON. RESPECT AND BLESSINGS! MUCH LOVE!
Cool stuff super on fire

DJSHAFT69
ॐ Heart
ॐ Heart

PART 2 OF SOUND TEST OF FIRE- CDJs VS VIRTUAL PROGRAMS

Post by DJSHAFT69 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:40 pm

The dark sets from the soundtest are now posted.

The Sound Test of Fire-Vol_2: Spreading Jah’s Fire

This is the second ultimate trial by fire of the whole CDJs/Turntables with standard hardware mixers and sound equipment VS a Computer Based Mp3 formatted virtual soundsystem.

Spreading Jah’s Fire-Vol_1
Dark Full On 145-148Bpm
56:30@192Kps
Direct Play Link
http://www.psystream.net/forum/local_li ... d=3&page=1
MP3 Download Link
http://www.psystream.net/mixes/misc/-_S ... -Vol_1.mp3

1>Subside- Non Violent
2>Naked Tourist- Sproket
3>Vibracoustic- Dirty Dancing
4>Hyper Frequency- Aleikoum Salam
5>Los Diablos- Jungle FM
6>Neuromotor vs Electocult- Humamakumadi
7>Ticket- Good Morning To Music

Spreading Jah’s Fire-Vol_2
Dark Full On 148-154Bpm
59:10@192Kps
Direct Play Link
MP3 Download Link
http://www.psystream.net/mixes/misc/-_S ... -Vol_2.mp3

1>Brehren and Outer Signal- Rock
2>Twisted Reaction- Forest Elves
3>Xatrik- Sketchy Biznizz
4>Wizack Twizack- Drugs N’ Stuff
5>Megalopsy- Black Hole
6>Iron Madness- Suggestions
7>Slug+Abomination- Where Is Magneto
8>Shiva- America Wake Up

Spreading Jah’s Fire-Vol_3
Dark Full On 148-156Bpm
1:09:49@192Kps
Direct Play Link
MP3 Download Link
http://www.psystream.net/mixes/misc/-_S ... -Vol_3.mp3

1>Twisted System- Business Hippy
2>Baphomet Engine- Maditory Suicide Rmx
3>Xenomorph- Killer State
4>Artifakt- Christian Conversion
5>Twisted System- Mad Method (Live Version)
6>Bufferzone Sword In Stone
7>Guinea Pigs- New Type of Drug
8>Guinea Pigs- Damage Control
9>Silent Horror- Demonic Spells

One set was mixed on with two Pioneer CDJ 100s, a Technics 1200 PRO Limited (only had one vinyl record this time, soooo hard to find), and a Roland DJ2000 mixer with all recording done on a Roland VS2480CD 24-Track directly from the main output.

One set was mixed using the custom built virtual MP3 system using Traktor3 and PCDJ REDD based programming, and a customized Roland based virtual MIDI/Digilog interface sound mixer similar to Audio8 that comes with Traktor Scratch.

The third set was mixed on the multi media virtual system with two CDJs added to the mix board to mix MP3s in real time on the players. No hard CDs were used for mixing, just WAV and MP3 files mixed through the MP3 playback and looping decks on the CDJs.

All three mixes were recorded directly from the Roland VS2480 program so that a comparison could be made between the standard setup and the virtual based system. The CDJ set was recorded on the hardware Roland and the other sets were recorded with the Roland virtual software suite on the hard drive.

I will let everyone know which set is which after people have had plenty of time to listen to them. I don’t want to bias anyone’s opinion ahead of time, so we will have a blind test to see if people can really tell the difference in the quality of CDs compared to MP3s.

YOU BE THE JUDGE! CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCES IN THE SOUND OF THE MIXES? I MIXED THEM AND I CAN’T REALLY TELL MYSELF. I KNOW THAT THESE SETS ARE PROBABLY AS GOOD AS ANY I’VE DONE RECENTLY.

A HUGE THANK YOU AND MUCH RESPECT AND LOVE FOR ALL THE ARTISTS AND THEIR WORK, MAY IT BE MOST BLESSED! WITHOUT YOU THERE WOULD BE NO FIRE!

FOR ALL THINGS GIVE PRAISE AND THANKS TO HIM! MAY JAH’S FIRE CLEANSE AND PROTECT YOU FROM THE TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS OF BABYLON. RESPECT AND BLESSINGS! MUCH LOVE!