buying music online ..

Looking for something? Have something to offer? Information. People with skills. Trade. Exchange. Notice board. Post anything else that does not fit to other sections.
MelanWastage
Your vitals are stable!
Your vitals are stable!

buying music online ..

Post by MelanWastage » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:45 pm

yo !
where do you mostly buy digital music (wav,flac,mp3) on the net ?
do you have a favorite online store ?

beatport .. cytopia .. junodownload .. audiojelly .. itunes or directly on the label website ?

where do you usually buy your tracks ?

:drinks

Zero-Blade
Psycho

Post by Zero-Blade » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:27 pm

Directly from the artists, if they do sell them online. Atleast that way I know I support the artsts without any1 else getting a % of the $ from the artist. Thinking of doing it myself. :roll

vic
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Post by vic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:04 pm

yea, with technology advance it is ever easy for an artist to get music directly to the listener.

Very good platform is www.bandcamp.com

Funny enough Beatspace is using bandcamp to sell digital downloads from their website ;)

iTunes is massive but I think only sell MP3 versions.

MelanWastage
Your vitals are stable!
Your vitals are stable!

Post by MelanWastage » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 pm

bandcamp i know already from beatspace and triplag too .
good project 4 sure , to make some selfdistribution . :)

true, it's more and more easy as artist to distribute your selfproduced tracks , but that's not all . to promote your music constantly to the dj & listening audience is very difficult .
and that is the point where the label is joining the game ..
the label is organizing the constant promotion , maybe with nice graphics etc., a good website and in case of physical releases with a good distribution . as "serious" label your job is not only collecting tracks by some artists and getting the money for doing nothing else and sucking the musicians . to promote their releases and make it public is also very very time intensive .. or not ?

and without a label you can't sell your selfproduced music on platforms like junodownload, beatport etc.

sure as musician you can announce your selfproduced stuff by yourself on some forums or get connected to other producers & maybe a couple of interested dj's , but does the other producers and the handfull of dj's are buying your tracks ? i think not .. with other producers or connected dj's isn't it more an exchange ?

i think as artist is that not the main audience you want to have for selling your music , right?
sure it's for both sides the best but usually as dj you don't contact the artist himself to buy his tracks directly or am i wrong ?

maybe some dj's can say something about it .

i saw a donation button on your website , kris ..
is that working ? do you get "good feedback" with that , more than releasing your tracks on labels like here on triplag - or somwhere else ?
Last edited by MelanWastage on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kriz
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Post by kriz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I have only bought from Sacred Evil records the last years.. Did buy some from dark rekords some years ago aswell.. Like more the physical copies!!

vic
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Post by vic » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:30 pm

:) it appears you know everything already Pascal!

old model: artist->track->label->CD->distribution->audience
is very slow. It maybe reaching big audience but maybe not. I think free downloads are reaching far bigger audience. And it is faster method to get your music to the masses.

Role of the label is changing as well (especially as independent/ underground label) It should be more of a collective of artists working together to get better results for themselves. After that, the way label (collective) gets music out is not that important as long as it is best possible quality.
:poor

and I do not see anything bad if artist also sells his unreleased (unsigned) tracks for 1.00 euro or 1.50 via bandcamp, soundcloud, myspace etc...

Zero-Blade
Psycho

Post by Zero-Blade » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:32 pm

MelanWastage wrote: i saw a donation button on your website , kris ..
is that working ? do you get "good feedback" with that , more than releasing your tracks on labels like here on triplag - or somwhere else ?
No feedback at all. I'm thinking of trying to release a digital album, which can be bought directly from me, through paypal, to see if that'll have any feedback.