Avoiding sound spikes when mixing in a new track?

Music creation & DJ mixing, how tos questions, discussions & help ~~~ Musical Software/hardware/skills etc...
Shen (Mental Records)
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Avoiding sound spikes when mixing in a new track?

Post by Shen (Mental Records) » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:41 am

Hi guys,

how do you experienced djs avoid sudden sound spikes when mixing in another track?
I have djm700 mixer, a very good piece of gear but so far have been unable to figure how to avoid the sound spiking when bringing another track in.
I can use the crossfader set on lowering the first track's volume when the moving it over to the second track but that sometimes causes the
sound of the first track to be lowered noticeably before the overall level is restored. Any tips or trick guys?
I can of course trim the second track down until I make a switchover but that can cause me to run out of hands and fingers when mixing some tracks :)

This of course is no issue when making a mix at home that I will be editing later but what about when you are playing live? Surely this can be controlled somehow?

Cheers!!!

Kabayun
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by Kabayun » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:49 am

Instead of (or in addition to) turning the second track down, try dialing back the EQ knobs of 1) the track you are mixing in and 2) the track that was already playing, if need be.

Just make sure to watch the levels on the mixer and play around with different EQ settings and you will figure out how to make the tracks fit together nicely, rather then simply layer on top of one another.
Of course this takes practice and is a different challenge for every set of tracks...I learn something everytime....
Good luck man hope this helps a bit. :cheers

Also one more thing... I keep the crossfader in the middle or turn if off completely if the mixer allows, and just mix using the track faders and EQ knobs. Does everything i need. D:

Shen (Mental Records)
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by Shen (Mental Records) » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:36 am

Hey man!

Thank you very much for your advise. I already had something like this in mind anyway (EQ manipulations) but hearing this from you surely reinforces this for me :) :cheers
Yes I have noticed that in psy community djs like to play with channel levels rather than using crossfaders, looks like it's a more accurate way of doing things though :)

Cheers!

Alien_Assault
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by Alien_Assault » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:52 am

The only thing i can add to Kabayun's advice, is to smoothly fade in the second track until it reach the level of the first one. I prefer EQ instead of crossfader too.

iDyLLiC sOuL
ॐ Soul
ॐ Soul

Post by iDyLLiC sOuL » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:39 am

i would say most important thing is to know the tracks ur mixin , it makes mixin easy :roll i have marked cuepoints on everytrack i have in my collection , that makes it easyer to mix Liveee :cheers :cheers

Shen (Mental Records)
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by Shen (Mental Records) » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:25 am

I agree with everything said in this thread 8) When you say you have marked cue points on every track you have in your collection do you mean you have written down somewhere the minutes and seconds for beginning of new bars for every track or is it something else you are talking about? :bangin

Fantapsy
DJ team
DJ team

Post by Fantapsy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:48 am

On many cdjs you can set multiple cue points, I think that's what he means! As for the levels, I absolutely agree, just experiment with the eqs, I NEVER use a cross fader as I find it too unprecise, at the beginning of a mix I usually keep the 2nd track coming in levels at: Bass - low, Mid - halfway, treble - normal........ that way I can just slam up the new track slider at a break and then manipulate the eqs into each other much more smoothly (or violently depending on the tracks!) :)

Shen (Mental Records)
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by Shen (Mental Records) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanks for the tips, I have worked out a very similar mixing style to what you are describing Fantapsy :) :drinks

madjester
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by madjester » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:07 am

One tip that might help is too watch out for the high EQs. Some tracks when mixed together will cause lots of spray or hiss. This can happen even when you mix both high EQ's at 50%/50%.

Of course, this depends upon the tracks.

The most typical and basic EQ progression, in DarkPsy, tends to be:

Step | C1 HI /MID/LOW | HI /MID/LOW CH2
--------------------------------------------------------------
1 | 100/100/100 | 000/000/000 |
2 | 050/100/100 | 050/000/000 |
3 | 000/075/050 | 100/025/050 |
4 | 000/050/000 | 100/050/100 |
5 | 000/000/000 | 100/100/100 |
--------------------------------------------------------------

This is an approximation. I wouldn't seriously mix this way every time. The basic jist of it being that you can let in the highs first. Then you can try mingling the mids, while at the same time easing both the basses together. Then at the end let the old melody die out a bit and go into the next track full blown.

There are many instances where you won't want to do this.

Like I said before, if the High EQs clash too much you'll just want to switch between them as quick as possible.

Sometimes you'll want to switch the basses of the songs straight away. This, btw is the trademark of many, many, MANY fullon DJ's. Mostly this is due to the constraints of said style.

... Well, I'm sure someone's gonna find something wrong with this. Some might find it useful.

Either way, ENJOY!

Partyterrorist
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by Partyterrorist » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:27 pm

I like ruffcutz...
...even if it's not "psy-typical"....phuk rules, do what you like! (No offense!).
so if you want to give it a try, just adjust the x-fader curve! It has to dip down both tracks in the middle... thats all.

Have Fun!

:drinks

Plasma Force
څҐαnceformínĞ...
څҐαnceformínĞ...

Post by Plasma Force » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:21 am

i'd be inclined to agree with the last poster here, ruff and psychedelic :P Filtering with the Eqs is more fun than trying to be technical with the mixing.

Maybe it wouldn't be so easy on the loudspeakers, but isn't that why they made limiters? xD

just my two cents

Cheerz