Andy's Youtube Tutorials

Music creation & DJ mixing, how tos questions, discussions & help ~~~ Musical Software/hardware/skills etc...
Retohmorgon
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by Retohmorgon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:07 pm

:bravo YYYAAAYYY! Thanks again Andy. If I knew How Id start to make some videos in my spare time, Hopefully soon... :drinks

The Andychrist
ॐ Soul
ॐ Soul

Post by The Andychrist » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi again,

as promised, here is a video about sidechain compression in logic :crazyfly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPojmov61Ek

this is fun! I'm a new logic user (I work primarily in Ableton), and this is a great way for me to learn how to do stuff I want to do in Logic!

Hope this is helpful D:

Andy :crazyfly

The Andychrist
ॐ Soul
ॐ Soul

Post by The Andychrist » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:18 pm

here's a demo video of a really awesome synth from fabfilter! check it out!!

it's really fun to use :ura :crazyfly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIWD4vvSjdg

Hope you enjoy!

The Andychrist
ॐ Soul
ॐ Soul

Post by The Andychrist » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:24 am

Hey everybody,

that first sidechain video made me a little sad because it didn't really sound that cool, so I made another one with cooler sounds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YBbwsjId1Q

anywayzzzz...

I hope this is helpful! I know it's helping me learn logic, so I'm gonna keep making them!

Wic|{ed
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Post by Wic|{ed » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:26 am

ahahah andy nice videos your really funny | and your right albino is awsome :D make more videooooooooos :ura

The Andychrist
ॐ Soul
ॐ Soul

Post by The Andychrist » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:50 pm

eh yo!

Here is another video I just made. This one is about a routing option in Ableton that I call "The Secret Bus" (!). It's a fun setup that aids in making stuff more fun for everyone!

Also, there's a bit in here about sending your kick/bass group channel to another fx group with a filtered delay on it... it's fun i think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CN5Nlf5Das

Oh yeah, I also updated the first post with all the links to all the videos I've made so far, and I'll keep the first post current with new videos in the future.

Plasma Force
څҐαnceformínĞ...
څҐαnceformínĞ...

Post by Plasma Force » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:02 am

:bravo Keep this up bro :P

The Andychrist
ॐ Soul
ॐ Soul

Post by The Andychrist » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:47 pm

I will!

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

Cinder
Vomitstorm

Post by Cinder » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:33 pm

We need to add an "Ask Andy" section to the forum lol.

Chemical Reaction
3plaĞ connected!
3plaĞ connected!

Post by Chemical Reaction » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:48 pm

Cinder wrote:We need to add an "Ask Andy" section to the forum lol.
Awesome! :poor

The Andychrist
ॐ Soul
ॐ Soul

Post by The Andychrist » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:54 pm

lolzorz :roll

I just made a new video about making Highko style leads. tis a technique I've heard he uses a bunch (or maybe just used to use), and I like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb8VkTUqORM

BaAoOW!

Cinder
Vomitstorm

Post by Cinder » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:36 pm

somebody should sticky this.

psilopsyben
DJ team
DJ team

Post by psilopsyben » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:34 am

I am quite curious on how you make your bass. Like say the bass in the highko lead and secret bus tutorial. If it's one thing my psy tracks are lacking it's that powerfull bass.

The Andychrist
ॐ Soul
ॐ Soul

Post by The Andychrist » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:47 am

Cronox 2!! :roll

This is a reproduction of a post I wrote a few years ago about a cronox 2 patch I like...

" Pick a saw wav on OSC 1, with OSC 2 off and the mix (obviously) on all the way to the left. Set the symmetry wherever it sounds nice to you (I frequently find myself wandering around the 10 O'clock zone), then don't let any unfiltered noise through (TRACK to %100), no filter envelope (DEPTH to %0), and decay time and sustain volume all the way up. Also, attack all the way down, and just the teensiest release you can imagine. For weirdo-crazy-person-ultra-doom bass, set the filter cutoff low (around 300Hz). for more generally ripping bass, set the cutoff higher. In my experience, it is best not to endow the filter with too much resonance... most of the time, no resonance will do nicely

Since the decay parameter on the amp envelope is set all the way up, the midi note length will entirely determine the length of the note played. With the sustain volume all the way up, the bass loses a lot of its potential dynamics (except the teensiest bit at the end!), but it really makes up for the loss with growling, bad-ass, loud-as-balls, textured delight. Also, if you're anything like me, you will not have much use for intra-note dynamics while you're blasting away at the back wall of your studio at 160+ bpm. At fast speeds, I think it's okay to take dynamic cues from the space between bass notes rather than the beautifully crafted shape hidden within your 1/20th of a second of bass (which is about all you get at 160 bpm with 32nd note bass on 16th note intervals).

A mildly interesting sidenote: 160 bpm means that each beat (which is a quarter note in the psytrance meter ) last for 3/8ths of a second. so, your 32nd note is only 3/64ths ( or, a little under 1/20th ) of a second long. this means at 160 bpm, if you render a 32nd note of 64Hz anything and look at it in a sample editor, you will see exactly three cycles of whatever waveform you chose to play. Wild, huh?

More interestingly, with this bass, you will need a HARD kick. I'm serious.

After all the fun choosing a kick sample, eqing it, and sometimes maximizing it (yeah, I said it), apply a sidechain compressor to keep the bass on the 2nd 16th note of whatever beat from summing too irresponsibly with the tail end of your extremely low pitched (and therefore very long) kick.
"

Nowadays, since I'm on an intel mac so there's no cronox 2 for me... :crazyG

luckily, I sampled the crap out of cronox 2 grabbing super long notes with the filter wide open so I can load them into Kontakt and use the filter and envelopes in there! It's a fun thing to do, and I'll make a video on it in a little bit!

Andy

mudpeople
ॐ Mind
ॐ Mind

Post by mudpeople » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:02 am

All hail Professor Reverend Andy the Christ, prophet of freaks and frequencies!!!

:psybanana:

Yes, its peanut butter psychedelic jelly time

:longwave:

Seriously though thanks for the schoolin' :D
:cheers