Mixing in Traktor vs CD decks

Music creation & DJ mixing, how tos questions, discussions & help ~~~ Musical Software/hardware/skills etc...

Mixing in Traktor is:

Just a handy tool for home djing?
58%
Silly question. End result is important - tools are irrelevant?
42%

Total votes: 52

vic
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Mixing in Traktor vs CD decks

Post by vic » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:44 pm

Hello technophiles,

Just curios to see what you think about Traktor. Can it be (or should be) adopted as another standard for club/gig equipment? :dj
Will your party experience change if you know that DJs are using computer software to play and mix tracks?

Fell free to explain yourself... 8-) we all amigos here ;) :-x

:hand:

ZINI
The beat is born
The beat is born

Post by ZINI » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:44 am

Having played parties with Bandia, who uses traktor, I think its a good addition. IMO I don’t think the party experience would change. Its all about the music thats being played. Isn’t it?

jimiwhizz
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by jimiwhizz » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Yeah i agree, the party goers experience is wholely based on the music and other party goers, which will not change just because different equipment is being used.

However for the person who is using traktor, their experience is bound to be different. What is the general consensus here of people who have used both? (cds/laptop) what do you prefer? what are pros cons of traktor?..

Im interested to know because id like to start djing soon :dj

vic
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Post by vic » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:37 pm

traktor brought djing to a much wider audience - no doubt about that. Enough to have a PC - (which most of do for work/study stuff) and here you go... you can have fun create your own mixes. Traktor makes it easy. As a good software supposed to do.

With low/mid range CD players and mixer you cannot do what you can do in Traktor.
Top range CD players & mixer cost you a lot - but you will get a real thing.
:idea:
And why not to use them with Traktor? :3some :yes: Just have a least 3 channel mixer and that is it. Totally whole new level of fun! :yes:

jackvi
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by jackvi » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:39 pm

im kinda an old geezer (im 27 :D) n and have a hard time accepting traktor as a real djing tool.. the whole spirit of the thing disapears when the accual cdn/vinyls are gone, just a program that does the beatmixing for u and basicly does everything else for u.. but at the other hand you can feel free to work more with effects, like the pioneers effectboxes...
but i cast my wote on no to traktor at parties.. ive seen it sometimes and i personaly gets sick of it.. :eek:

word of thoughts here..

peace!

ZEFER
We have a pulse!
We have a pulse!

Post by ZEFER » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:00 pm

jimiwhizz wrote:
. What is the general consensus here of people who have used both? (cds/laptop) what do you prefer? what are pros cons of traktor?..

Im interested to know because id like to start djing soon :dj
Hi Jimmy!! I will share my opinion on this with you I started back in the days( year 2000) using an IBM laptop (was a practical decision.) with PCDJ first and then I used Tracktor. I found loads of fun at the beginning as this is very cheap and easy to carry to house parties and very user friendly way to mix, just press a key or click in a button and is done, no need too much practice ( traktor 3 now has more buttons and will take you longer to learn how to press them right) .
Then I bought my first pair of turntables, not Technics ones but good enough to learn the technics and i was playing psytrance on vinyls till could get my first cdj. So the days of Redbox and moonemotions were all about "1vinylturntable and 1 cdj"sets......best fun playing I have ever had . Then sadly most of the psytrance music started to be released only on CDs so I put my turntables away and play full CDj to CDj, So I have experienced all the possible scenarios of mixing and as some of you already know, I am not a "laptopdj" fan when we are talking about going serious on DJing.
There is a very big difference between playing with CDJ and playing with laptops, Like going to a real live concert or watching your favourite artist singing the same songs in playback on tv show. A DJ needs loads of hours( days, months...) practising the beatmaching and finding the tracks that go well together in tune, playing with faders, effects, pitch..etc to be able to perform a real live experience when in front of the public. "DJ is dancing back and forth, a quick tweak on the pitch on the left deck, mixing, mixing, mixing, some massive cuts from left to right as he drops back in his original tune, he re-cues, does a nifty little scratch (possible with high-end CDJ) as he drops the incoming beat STRAIGHT in with a bang - more mixing and bouncing from left deck to right deck and then finished with a little back spin and points at the CDJ proudly with a huge smile on his face. Now imaging a dj whose engrossed with clicking on a laptop screen in-between mixing. It might be the same tunes, and I'm not saying it wont be any worse. But to me that scenario lacks a certain magic."
We would need to think also about sound quality: MP3 files (apart form killing the scene ) can never sound as good as an original CD. In a Dj bag can always find some Original Cds mixed with "pirate" burned cds, that is a fact, but the chance of finding original cds in a Dj bag will always be higher than to find them into the case of a laptopdj.

When you will give an step forward and play for people who are paying for listening to you, think about them and provide them something that they can not have at home just pressing a button. Today almost every psytrance lover has all the tracks that a dj can play as they are in the Internet very easy to be found, so the DJ must go further than being a jukebox putting tracks with no silence gap in between ( not saying that this is what either the decks DJ or laptopdjs do in general).

Anyway. I don't want to ruffle and feather..... just my view I agree with jackvi but also with fungusok, so you will certainly see myself getting into the area of DJ'ing with software and I would have no problem with hooking up a laptop (next to the decks obviously) to bring in some effects or to play the tracks I am making myself (ok the two of us....coming soon) but for the next gig....back to vynil and cdj style :wink:

Please support the scene, you can do it.

jackvi
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by jackvi » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:15 pm

ZEFER: word... SUPPORT THE SCENE!!!!

no mp3s plz...

vic
Your Trip Guide
Your Trip Guide

Post by vic » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:17 am

I like software & like playing games on PC (when get a free hour or so)
I like virtual reality - nice and clean. Press a button - "all system go"

But when you behind a wheel of a real roaring car - oh yeah! :waiting: (no longer a game) :drive

Zefer 100% right - DJing + dynamics behind real decks is way more exiting and rewarding than when you are trying to be careful with laptop. We all like to show off! :grin:

I guess listeners may not even notice laptop or real decks are on stage (well, appart from MP3 vs CD sound) - but DJ is the main person here who will notice....
it's like virtual and real sex - real thing is better but requires a lot of effort (he-he-he) :razz:

:smoke:

jackvi
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by jackvi » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:48 pm

f u n g u s o k wrote:I like software & like playing games on PC (when get a free hour or so)
I like virtual reality - nice and clean. Press a button - "all system go"

But when you behind a wheel of a real roaring car - oh yeah! :waiting: (no longer a game) :drive

Zefer 100% right - DJing + dynamics behind real decks is way more exiting and rewarding than when you are trying to be careful with laptop. We all like to show off! :grin:

I guess listeners may not even notice laptop or real decks are on stage (well, appart from MP3 vs CD sound) - but DJ is the main person here who will notice....
it's like virtual and real sex - real thing is better but requires a lot of effort (he-he-he) :razz:

:smoke:

LOOOOOL... yea ill take the more effort way too :D

Fantapsy
DJ team
DJ team

Post by Fantapsy » Sun May 07, 2006 9:20 pm

Just read this post and thought I'd throw in my two pennies worth: I personally think that Traktor is a great tool for practice but not for a show.
With Traktor it's very handy to be able to sit down and quickly put 2 tunes together, beat match them with the click of a button and hear whether or not they are mixable. It's kind of cheating I know but it's efficient. However, when it comes to playing live there is no excuse for laziness. Anyone can click a button and beat match a tune with Traktor but as has been said before, half of the job of a dj is to play with each mix, entertain the crowd a little and come out of it having put a smile on both the audience and his/her face.
So to sum up - Traktor = yes for pissing about at home but a very BIG no to live performance. Tis just my opinion but I'll stick by it!!!!!

upavas
The beat is born
The beat is born

Traktor... hmmmm

Post by upavas » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:41 am

D:
Traktor in my opinion is not a very handy tools, here is why:
I can hear instantly when someone is mixing on Traktor, it has to do with the synchronize button, sometimes there is 1 beat missing and the machine doesn't see that, it will jump straight to the next beat. Also the soundquality is poor. Even though you can play wav. files now it still sounds kind of flat and too metallic for me. I have Traktor 2.5 and very much prefer my Vestax cdx 05 cdj's . They have an analog filter built in them and that makes the bass more warm and also the highs.
I recommend Traktor as a tool to listen to new tracks as you can see the whole wav. file and always have the next one ready when you need it. As a djing tool I personally think it sucks!
:lol:

Mind Distortion System
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

cd players

Post by Mind Distortion System » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:51 pm

maybe someof you are calling me old shool
but
for me using a computer with traktor for mix on a party lose all the magic of djing.
i use traktor at home but i never going to use on a party .
first you lose some quality because trktor use he hown compression for having the waves files and mp3 at same compression .
and i never play mp3 only waves files changing with the hownartists or i by the cds on internet.
mp3 are for listen at home or in the car not for play on partys the compression is CRAP. that why after some djs you have headhakes!!!
and virtuual mix tables are for home. where is the ART of dj with a computer?!?!
monkey dance banging music monkey dance

mudpeople
ॐ Mind
ॐ Mind

Post by mudpeople » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:55 pm

musicians friend now has traktor for US $99.

I prefer cds.

:monkeydance :monkeydance :monkeydance :monkeydance

funky
3plaĞ connected!
3plaĞ connected!

Re: cd players

Post by funky » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:07 pm

Mind Distortion System wrote: for me using a computer with traktor for mix on a party lose all the magic of djing.
i use traktor at home but i never going to use on a party .
agree totally 8) :dj

traktor is good 2 play around.....but the biggest problem is that u cant fully use 2 hands like on real players and a mixer......

djnevski
no beats in this soul ;(
no beats in this soul ;(

Traktor

Post by djnevski » Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:32 pm

Dudes

i use tracktor final scratch 2.0 .
With the move of all decent psy trance going to cd i initially purchased a
cd deck which i used in conjunction with 1210's. To be honest the cd deck
was no patch on the 1210's so i got rid of it and opted for finalscratch. To be honest i have never looked back. I can use the time coded vinyl and mix as if nothing has changed. You get to place all of your ripped cd's to the library and can record all of your existing vinyl.

I will be submitting a mix soon using this so keep your eyes open

love and peace
DJ nevski and the Hugfactory