Kicks - asking for advices

Music creation & DJ mixing, how tos questions, discussions & help ~~~ Musical Software/hardware/skills etc...
dj_anubis
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Kicks - asking for advices

Post by dj_anubis » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:13 am

Hello TRIPLAG

I haven`t been here for a very long time, I started to produce music some time ago, still no releases out there but it will come, my music is more about night time prog, not happy stuff, more atmospheric and mysterious

anyway, I wanted to say huge THANK YOU, to all of you who give such amazing advices, especially, the BASS LINE thread, its AWESOM

I can see that for a very long time, this forum has almost no activity, so I really hope you guys will see this thread and can help me

My question is about KICKS, I know I can search for sample packs or used kicks somebody eles made, but I feel like I want to know how to make a good kick, I am using BAZZISM, and its really a great synth' I am trying to get not so punchy kick, more flat one...

also if you can give me some advice, that kinf of EQ you put on your kicks, are there any special frequencies you increase or decrease?

are there any effects you put on your kicks?

any advice will be great

I you guys will read it, and that this forum will become much more active again

Peace & Love :ura

Plasma Force
څҐαnceformínĞ...
څҐαnceformínĞ...

Re: Kicks - asking for advices

Post by Plasma Force » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:55 am

Ah the most important part of any track :P

60hz cut on bass end of eq, sharp boost peak at 1000hz, cut top end a bit too but not too much to lose the snap

Add maximizer, I use IL Maximus

That's it

I also take a send channel sometimes and put Ozone 5 on it and send kick and bassline channels to it to mono and boost the signal a bit and glue them up

Different ways I am sure will have better results

dj_anubis
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by dj_anubis » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Thank you BRO 8)

Hope more membrs will reply...

SooSpicey
Seeking connection...
Seeking connection...

Post by SooSpicey » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:52 pm

60hz is too high to cut on the kick. if you want your kick to have a nice sub punch, make sure the fundamental of it is around 80hz or lower.

I would suggest to cut everything below 30hz to clean it up a bit.

you can also do some sharp surgical cuts between 170-400hz to clean it up further, and also some around 500 if desired. you will find this takes away some of the annoying knock that lots of un-processed kicks seem to have.

design your kick (or pick it from samples) strong from the start, and there will be no need for any maximizing or anything like that

also, if you want a rolling bassline (to hear all 3 notes in between the kicks) make sure that your kick is only 1/16th in length for the bpm you have chosen, so that it does not fall into the first bass note

and also with the bass notes, make sure that they do not fall into the transient of the kick

dj_anubis
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by dj_anubis » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:05 pm

SooSpicey, thank you very much for your advice, I agree with it, you can also make the bassline with a little fade out in the 1/16, its possible to use side chain on the bass,

what kind of samples you use for darkpsy? or you just make them with bazzism?

Mandari
Your vitals are stable!
Your vitals are stable!

Post by Mandari » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:36 pm

SooSpicey wrote:60hz is too high to cut on the kick. if you want your kick to have a nice sub punch, make sure the fundamental of it is around 80hz or lower.

I would suggest to cut everything below 30hz to clean it up a bit.
8) anyways it really depends on what you´re after. i tend to tune my kick to the root frequency of my track. at 148bpm that beeing a d# with a bottom of somewhere round the 39hz and a top of somewhere 4850hz. duration is round about the 16th for sure. i make it some more short to leave space for processing. i will anyways record, sample, cut and fade it.

to me bazzism lacks punch and low content so i tend to beef that shit up round the mentioned 60hz. i dip down with wide q and just slightly what i boost in my bass... .i.e. harmonics of my bass. just working vice versa and cutting shit and mud i dont need.

cuts beeing usually not more than 3-7db which is really enough or you will cut holes into your bass. q ALWAYS as wide as possible, the sharp slope will cause more distortion. i do exessively use shelves instead of pass/cut. the only cut i do is on my master, set at 17hz usually. keep in mind slope actually begins to fall at somewhere round the 30hz. so if you set a cut at 30hz, it will at least effect the 60hz section with an actual decrease of something like 3db which is half of the content. i.e. 60hz content at that setting will be halfed in its gain. thus.... half as loud as before. forget about hearing that on even good nearfielders.....

for surgery just take any eq you like on the kick it doesnt really matter. and do whatever suits you, just avoid clipping in your signal path. theres no rule, you need to shape it that way you want or need it. whatever you have to do a man has to do what hes godda do ;) even if thats heavy flangingdelayedbitcrushedoutofphasedoverglitchedout processing no one would ever do ....

i wouldnt go too much into frequencys here, cause really depends. anyways, soospiceys 2 cents i repeated here are def. something to take into consideration ^^

have a nice one, would lve to see this forum rising from the ashes again :) im on it and with you guys :cs

cheers

dj_anubis
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by dj_anubis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:59 am

Thank you for all of your advices :drinks

If anyone has more advices please write them :cheerG

Muhara
The beat is born
The beat is born

Post by Muhara » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:39 pm

dj_anubis wrote:Hello TRIPLAG

I haven`t been here for a very long time, I started to produce music some time ago, still no releases out there but it will come, my music is more about night time prog, not happy stuff, more atmospheric and mysterious

anyway, I wanted to say huge THANK YOU, to all of you who give such amazing advices, especially, the BASS LINE thread, its AWESOM

I can see that for a very long time, this forum has almost no activity, so I really hope you guys will see this thread and can help me

My question is about KICKS, I know I can search for sample packs or used kicks somebody eles made, but I feel like I want to know how to make a good kick, I am using BAZZISM, and its really a great synth' I am trying to get not so punchy kick, more flat one...

also if you can give me some advice, that kinf of EQ you put on your kicks, are there any special frequencies you increase or decrease?

are there any effects you put on your kicks?

any advice will be great

I you guys will read it, and that this forum will become much more active again

Peace & Love :ura
Thank you for this post. :cheerG

dj_anubis
ॐ Vibe
ॐ Vibe

Post by dj_anubis » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:40 pm

Muhara wrote:
Thank you for this post. :cheerG
I sent you a private message :drinks

Abducted_Brain
The beat is born
The beat is born

Post by Abducted_Brain » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:44 am

Nicky Romero plug is very nice!!! It lets you manipulate the envelopes of amp, pitch and other stuff with a lot of detail..also many types of clicks..

About the kick I think eq depends of speed but you can low cut with filtering at 30hz..

Mid section freqs something interfer with bass so pay attention here and try some down bells to decrease this range amplitude..

Remember the click of the kick for more presence

And side chain with the bass..it can make u change your perspective about how the kick sounds!

good luck broo!!! :bravo :bangin :bangin